Monday, November 12, 2012

Hello friends!
       My name is Thomas, and this blog was created to share my ideas on taking 40k Codexes and using them to make legal Unification War and Early Crusade armies for Warhammer 40k. For those who are unfamiliar with the Unification Wars, it is the time before the Astartes were created and the Emperor was battling the warlords of Terra to unify mankind on Earth before moving on to the stars in search of the worlds that were lost during the Age of Strife. These events have been mentioned in many of the books of the Horus Heresy series, and have shed light on this era. 
       The reason I am doing this is for a long time I was interested in the Horus Heresy. It was a time that was shrouded with mystery and intrigue. It was always mentioned by the writers of Games Workshop books and Codexes, but it was never fully detailed and left a lot to the imagination. It was a converters dream. You see, I love converting models. Its my favorite part of the wargaming hobby.  I have converted many full armies for Warhammer 40k and Fantasy. I had always wanted to convert a Horus Heresy army!
       Now that the Horus Heresy series is moving past its first decade of production, much of that same mystique is gone. The exact events that led up to the Heresy have unfolded and everyone knows what happened. I never got a chance to convert a Heresy army, and now Forgeworld and Games Workshop have come out with the Horus Heresy: Betrayal book. Now anyone can own a fully operational Heresy army. To me, that just means it is time to move on and find another area that gave me the same converting options that the Heresy had. The Unification War has given me just enough to work with to do so.   For me, the setting is perfect, there is just enough out there to get an idea of what was happening, and enough leeway to have some artistic license. 
      My overall goal in this endeavor is to make a Generic Techno-Barbarian Unification wars list legal for 6th edition.  I will be using the Space Wolfs codex to do so. My next endeavor will focus on using allies to create some of the more unique factions from the Unification Wars, such as the Lucifer Blacks, the Dracos from Hy Brasil, and Geno Five-Two Chiliad, the Emperors first super human experiment. After those have been created. I will be doing a Luna Army using the Dark Eldar Codex. I am going to strive to keep these up to date and viable for 6th edition. I will be converting minitures using solely Games Workshop minis to represent these armies, and posting tutorials on how they are done. My hopes is that someone will take my ideas and run with it, maybe winning a Throne of Skulls tournament with an Unification Wars army.

If you want to find out more about the Unification Wars, here are some websites that can help


3 comments:

  1. I like the concept. I have a question: why the Space Wolves codex as the basis? Why not the Space Marine codex? Just curious? Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using a little freedom from the creative license, I used Space Wolves for a couple reasons. First being that the most of the choices in the Organization chart are WS and BS 3 instead of the standard 4. Also with the leadership of 8, instead of 9, with no Sarges. I use this to show that while being genetically modified humans, they do not have the training and discipline of Space Marines. Further more, I think that Space Wolves are as close to Techno-barbarians in the current games. The limitation on the weapons in the squad and the special rules help with the barbarian archetype. Space Wolves also have the only Space Marine Cav in the game, and I would like to think in the Warhammer 20k world, Power Armored human barbarians would ride around on giant mutated gene enhanced beast!

      Delete
  2. giant mutated gene enhanced beasts.. nice, a whole 'nother take on "augmented" reality. I would agree that Space Wolfs are close to techno-barbarians of the system.

    ReplyDelete